<iframe src="http://view.atdmt.com/iaction/ancestrycom_non_secure_universal_v3/v3/atc1.-lib-TinyMce_2_1_0-blank_htm/" width="1" height="1" frameborder="0" scrolling="No" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0"></iframe>

The first of the Frink family for whom it is recorded are JOHN and MARY

(WOOD) FRINK, of Ipswich, Mass. Their son John Frink, the ancestor of the

Frink's of New London County came to Stonington as early as 1666, and bought a

tract of land on the Taugwonk in Stonington upon which he erected a dwelling for

himself and his family. He took part in King Phillips War. In 1657, several years

prior to his removal to Stonington, John was united in marriage to Grace Stevens of

Taunton, Mass. and brought with him his wife and three daughters. All the children

were born between 1658-1680 and their names being: Grace, Hannah, Deborah,

Samuel, John, Thomas and Judith. More on Samuel on the next page.

When the King of England purchased the rights to the Carolinas from Lords

Proprietors in 1729, a plan was formed to attract settlers to this large unsettled

land. The King's council offered 50 acres to each man, woman and child, including

slaves, who would come and settle the land. The scheme worked and settlers came,

not only from England and Europe, but from other American colonies. John Frink

was married to Hannah Prentice whose father was John Prentice a sea captain who

supplied the coastal waters between New England and the Carolinas. He was

probably influential in attracting Nicholas Frink son of John and Hannah to the

Carolinas. Nicholas came here in 1734 with his large family and settled on what is

today known as Little River Neck.Some other settlers coming from from New

England, kinsmen of Nicholas Frink, included James Minor who had a grant for

375 acres on Cedar Creek and Boriah Grant who received an adjoining tract of 300

acres in a grant dated Jan 18,1733. It is on this property that the modern

developments known as Cedar Creek Village and Lightkeepers Village are situated.

Cherry Grove Beach had been known as Minor's Island for this James Minor.

Nicholas Frink's numerous descendants intermarried with the Gause, Gore,

Bellamy, Vereen and many other families whose names are prominent in Horry and

Brunswick counties today.

A great-grandson of Nicholas Frink was Samuel Frink (1758 to 1862) who had a

large number of slaves on his plantation, which was located North of Calabash


Samuel Frink married Elizabeth Bellune, daughter of Daniel Bellune and his wife,

Mary Bossier and they became the parents of 12 sons and daughters. One of the

sons was Lorenzo Frink who became a prominent doctor and made his home in

"Hickory Hall," which was built prior to 1812. This old house is still standing and

may be seen today in Calabash.

Dr. Lorenzo Frink later made his home in Southport, N.C. where he is buried. The

late movie actor, Joseph Cotton (born 1905) was a great-grandson of Dr. Lorenzo

Frink. Dr. Frink gave Hickory Hall to his son, Samuel Frink who sold it together

with many personal effects in 1875. Mr. J.H. Lay of Olyphic, N.C., (Columbus

County) said his Father attended the sale and bought a wagon load of farming

utensils and household goods and among the goods was a collection of books from

Dr. Frink's library, including his medical books.

Little River Neck was early known as "Frinks Neck" for the family of Nicholas

Frink. Old land grants and some deeds in the Horry County records refer to

properties there as being in "Frink's Neck". A map of 940 acres of land made Feb.

15, 1808, by Thomas Hemingway, on Little River and Cedar Creek, shows "Frink's



Descendants of John Frink and Mary Wood

1st Generation ---

1. JOHN FRINK II was born in August 20, 1639 in Malborough, Devonshire, Eng and died

February 10, 1717/18 in Stonington, CT. JOHN married GRACE STEVENS daughter of HENRY

STEVENS and ELIZABETH GALLUP. GRACE was born in 1634 in Taunton, MA and died May

07, 1717 in Stonington, CT m: 1657 in Taunton, Mass. JOHN and GRACE were married in 1657 in

Taunton, Mass.

--- 2nd Generation ---

2. JOHN FRINK III was born on May 18, 1671 in Stonington, CT and died on November 04, 1753

in Stonington, CT. JOHN married HANNAH PRENTICE daught of JOHN PRENTICE and

HESTER NICHOLS. HANNAH was born on June 06, 1672 in New London, Connecticut and died

March 02, 1717 in New London, Connecticut. JOHN and HANNAH were married on February 15,

1693/94 in New London, Connecticut