The first of the Frink family for whom it is recorded are JOHN and MARY (WOOD) FRINK, of Ipswich, Mass. Their son John Frink, the ancestor of the Frink's of New London County came to Stonington as early as 1666, and bought a tract of land on the Taugwonk in Stonington upon which he erected a dwelling for himself and his family. He took part in King Phillips War. In 1657, several years prior to his removal to Stonington, John was united in marriage to Grace Stevens of Taunton, Mass. and brought with him his wife and three daughters. All the children were born between 1658-1680 and their names being: Grace, Hannah, Deborah, Samuel, John, Thomas and Judith. More on Samuel on the next page.

When the King of England purchased the rights to the Carolinas from Lords Proprietors in 1729, a plan was formed to attract settlers to this large unsettled land. The King's council offered 50 acres to each man, woman and child, including slaves, who would come and settle the land. The scheme worked and settlers came, not only from England and Europe, but from other American colonies. John Frink was married to Hannah Prentice whose father was John Prentice a sea captain who supplied the coastal waters between New England and the Carolinas. He was probably influential in attracting Nicholas Frink son of John and Hannah to the Carolinas. Nicholas came here in 1734 with his large family and settled on what is today known as Little River Neck.Some other settlers coming from from New England, kinsmen of Nicholas Frink, included James Minor who had a grant for 375 acres on Cedar Creek and Boriah Grant who received an adjoining tract of 300 acres in a grant dated Jan 18,1733. It is on this property that the modern developments known as Cedar Creek Village and Lightkeepers Village are situated. Cherry Grove Beach had been known as Minor's Island for this James Minor. Nicholas Frink's numerous descendants intermarried with the Gause, Gore, Bellamy, Vereen and many other families whose names are prominent in Horry and Brunswick counties today.

A great-grandson of Nicholas Frink was Samuel Frink (1758 to 1862) who had a large number of slaves on his plantation, which was located North of Calabash River.

Samuel Frink married Elizabeth Bellune, daughter of Daniel Bellune and his wife, Mary Bossier and they became the parents of 12 sons and daughters. One of the sons was Lorenzo Frink who became a prominent doctor and made his home in "Hickory Hall," which was built prior to 1812. This old house is still standing and may be seen today in Calabash.

Dr. Lorenzo Frink later made his home in Southport, N.C. where he is buried. The late movie actor, Joseph Cotton (born 1905) was a great-grandson of Dr. Lorenzo Frink. Dr. Frink gave Hickory Hall to his son, Samuel Frink who sold it together with many personal effects in 1875. Mr. J.H. Lay of Olyphic, N.C., (Columbus County) said his Father attended the sale and bought a wagon load of farming utensils and household goods and among the goods was a collection of books from Dr. Frink's library, including his medical books.

Little River Neck was early known as "Frinks Neck" for the family of Nicholas Frink. Old land grants and some deeds in the Horry County records refer to properties there as being in "Frink's Neck". A map of 940 acres of land made Feb. 15, 1808, by Thomas Hemingway, on Little River and Cedar Creek, shows "Frink's Neck".